Posts Tagged ‘Finance’

Parish Council Meeting 16th September 2014

September 21, 2014

The Agenda for the September 2014 Parish Council Meeting is here: 140916Agenda

Draft minutes of the meeting are here: Draft minutes of 16th September 2014

Report on the Meeting of 18th September 2012

November 4, 2012

The formal business of this meeting opened with previously circulated County and District reports from the relevant Councillors and comments from members of the public. The County report had been presented on the web-site and was essentially taken as read and the District reports were explored in some depth with the emerging policies for Local Plans, with relation to which policies the Parish Council emphasized that in 2012/13 its principal focus will be on three major interests, housing, road safety and a recreational facility, and stated that there will an overall review of its strategy at the October meeting of the Parish Council, to which the relevant Authorities will be invited. The Dry Drayton Village Plan will also be reviewed in October.

The only item of Public comment was the circulation of the survey results for the Church Farm planning consultation which took place on 4/09/12. In this context it was noted that, at present, there were no applications for housing development in Dry Drayton.

The items of current business listed below were covered during the meeting.

Grass cutting. Mr Rounds has apologised for what is discerned as poor quality grass cutting during the past season, he explains that the weather pattern and the cutting schedule have made a major contribution to the ragged appearance of the grassed areas and hopes that the coming year will show an improvement.

Grass plots. V Perrin reports that the six grass plots, deliberately left un-mowed in the interests of wild-life and vegetation variety, can now be cut. He states that their plant lists are similar to his last survey and a list is available. There is a Common Spotted Orchid in the High   St./Scotland Rd. bank and these wild areas supported many insects.               

Dog bins. Ongoing with District Council.

Callow Brook flooding. This problem has been extensively explored together with an assessment of the water feeds from subsidiary culverts. As County Council finance is limited, a volunteer group is being set up to further analyse and ultimately eliminate this flooding by dredging and ditch clearance.

Footpaths. Various maintenance projects, including bridging and style work are in hand, users are warned that care must be taken and that these units are used at their own risk.

Planning. There were no new planning applications.

Finance. Disbursements were, £360.00, grass cutting, £225.54, salary, £182.00, HMRC, £10.00, ‘bus shelter cleaning, £24.78, expenses, £35.00, Data Protection Act, £180.86, Moore Stephens Audit, £343.20, Came and Co, insurance. It was noted that the Annual Return had been approved.

Report of the Parish Council Meeting held on 21st February 2012

March 7, 2012

REPORT OF THE PARISH COUNCIL: 21st February, from Cllr David Wyatt

The formal Parish Council meeting was preceded by comment from members of the public and County and District Councillors’ reports. Reports received from County Cllr. Reynolds and the District Cllrs. were duly noted.

During the Parish Council meeting the following topics were discussed. Village Plan As noted previously, revision of the Plan and associated working group membership continues. The next meeting of the working groups will take place prior to the Parish Council meeting on 20/03/2012.

Traffic and Speed limit Policy on Scotland Road.  Cllr Rosewell continues to monitor progress on this project and will attend any site visits from the panel.

Biodiversity Survey  V Perrin was thanked for his outstanding survey and suggestions for  ‘village walks’ and other exploitation of the Village environment were put forward. This will be an agenda item for future meetings when its full implications will be discussed. As noted previously, ‘Survey of the green spaces’ by V. Perrin is to be printed by Cllr Irish and circulated.

Tree Planting. This topic was discussed in the ‘Jubilee Tree Project’ context with reference to individual and organizational donations of single trees or groups of trees.

Planning  No new applications received.

CCC Community Hubs  There is an initiative from the CCC to explore with Parish Councils and residents the feasibility of creating a ‘hub’ at Bar Hill to improve access to public services at Bar Hill and surrounding villages. A meeting, open to local Councillors, is to be arranged

Finance and Disbursements The monthly finance report was considered. The following payments were approved, HMRC £24.37, LGS Services (Admin support) £289.11, LG Stoehr  £97.48. The invoices were checked by the signatories before payment.

The next meeting of the Parish Council is on 20th, March, 2012 and it should be noted that the ‘Annual Parish Meeting’ with its ‘organisation reports’ and the ‘Annual Parish Council Meeting’ will take place individually in the following two months.

The Community is reminded that Parish Council agenda items should be sent to the Parish Clerk, in writing, at least 14 days prior to the Parish Council meeting and that village groups and organisations are invited to forward short reports on their activities to all Council meetings. Every Village group and organisation should attend the Annual Parish Meeting and plead their case for a grant, if such is required.

Dry Drayton Parish Council. Report on the Meeting of 17th January, 2012

January 22, 2012

The Chairman, Peter Fane, has provided an overview of some salient points of this Parish Council meeting, which should be read in addition to this report. His overview gives some details of ‘Footpaths and rights of way’, ‘The Parish Council Budget and the Precept’ and the ‘Localism Act’.

From the Chairman, Peter Fane

David Wyatt has outlined the key decisions from this month’s parish council meeting in his usual report (below). Sylvia has asked me to give an overview.

Footpaths and rights of way:

It was good to see so many people at the open session at the start of the January parish council meeting. We had a good discussion about the proposed new ‘permissive paths’ in the open session.

Some felt that there is a case for taking legal action to try to secure ‘presumed rights of way’ status (see note 1 below)  for the route along the green track, others preferred to do this by agreement. The Parish Council preferred to work with the farmers and landowners concerned to secure well-marked permissive paths, with gates and bridge crossings.

As part of the agreement, we will be asking users to keep dogs under close control (preferably on a lead) on these paths. The farmer may need to close the path round the field for safety reasons when harvesting is underway.

Parish Council Budget and the precept:

We agreed to include in the budget our 10% contribution to the cost of speed restrictions and road safety measure at Scotland Farm. The measures were selected on the basis of a survey of those living and working in the immediate area, and will not involve road humps or chicanes, which would be far more expensive.

We have set aside a small sum for ‘participatory budgeting’ (see note 2 below) . We shall be inviting village groups, both existing and new, to put forward proposals for a parish contribution of up to £200 to help improve facilities in the village. We will only be able to support one or two such schemes each year, and any group applying will have to show at the annual meeting how the proposal would benefit the village, and then report on progress the following year.

The Localism Act and parish councils:

The Localism Act, which received Royal Assent in November, introduced new rights and powers for Parish councils, encouraging them to work with their communities to shape local development by preparing neighbourhood plans. We have therefore made provision in the budget to start work on this, based on the village plan.

The net effect of these changes is an increase in the precept by £1000 – that is, the cost of the road safety measures. The total will be £9500 per year in 2012 / 13, or £35 per household on average. We will still have one of the lowest precepts per household in South Cambridgeshire, and we are determined it should remain that way.

Note 1: Section 31, Highways Act 1980 provides for deemed or presumed right of way status to be granted where it can be shown that it has been used as of right (ie, without force, without secrecy and without permission) by the public over a continuous period of  20 years without interruption or challenge. The difficulties of the legal route should not be underestimated, and the outcome would be uncertain. If the case were accepted, the landowner would probably not be willing to make available the additional mown path around the field. The County Council has agreed the permissive paths, for which no support from the parish is necessary,  but says this would not rule out future claims by individuals in relation to the past use.

Note 2: Participatory budgeting has been taken up by a number of councils and parishes as a way of trusting people to decide how to spend public money (raised from our taxes) and giving back a sense of local influence while building up community capacity. See for example http://www.inspire-east.org.uk/FileAccess.aspx?id=2416

Continuing the report on the Meeting from David Wyatt

The formal Parish Council meeting was preceded by comment from members of the public and County and District Councillors’ reports. Reports received from County Cllr. Reynolds and the District Cllrs. were duly noted. There was an extensive discussion of local footpaths with much useful input from village residents. Among the suggestions was a request for a ‘Definitive Map’ of footpaths based on local access knowledge and reference was made to an interchange with Camilla Haggett, the Definitive Map Officer for Cambridgeshire County Council. A further discussion involving the ‘safe walking’ of dogs and ‘safety’ concluded with the Chairman outlining two options, uninterrupted access under S.41 of the Highways Act or Permissive Access by negotiation with relevant landowners. There was some support for the ‘Permissive option’ as opposed to the time consuming Highways Act S.41 legal procedures. See below ‘Public Rights of Way and Permissive Paths’.   During the Parish Council meeting the following topics were discussed.

Village Plan. As noted previously, revision of the Plan and associated working group membership continues. The next meeting of the working groups will take place prior to the Parish Council on 21/02/2012.

Affordable housing. A further consultation on potential sites for affordable housing will take place during the coming summer.

Traffic and Speed limit Policy. Speedwatch and Speeding on Scotland Road. Cllr Rosewell spoke to his report which had been circulated. Costings and a survey of businesses and residents of Scotland Road had been undertaken and these were outlined. An application had been submitted for the reduction of the speed limit to 30 mph although as yet it had not been acknowledged. The Parish Council agreed to the required 10% contribution should the application be successful. Cllr Reynolds outlined the process and offered his support for the application. Cllr Rosewell agreed to attend any site visits from the panel.

Appointment of Clerk. The interview panel spoke to their written report as circulated. It was unanimously agreed to appoint Robert Stone as Clerk, RFO and Proper Officer, with a standard contract, terms and rates as recommended by the interview panel and conditional on acceptance of contractual terms including a probationary period.

Finance and Disbursements. The finance report was considered. The Allotment rents received were noted and following payments were approved, HMRC £24.37, Cambridge Water £27.54, Clark (Bus Shelter cleaning) £10.00, Streetlighting £97.00. CPALC (Affiliation fee) £105.00, LGS Services (Admin support) £309.34 plus £277.36, LG Stoehr (Admin support) £194.96, plus HMRC, paid between meetings, £24.37 The invoices were checked by the signatories before the payment cheques were signed. Review of budgets for the financial years 2012 and 2013. The present and possible expenditures for these years were examined and the receipts and payments to date against the approved budget were reviewed, with due consideration of the following possibilities.

Grass cutting for biodiversity may increase grass cutting costs by 2.5% due to the use of different equipment. The sum of £2150.00 was allocated. S137 donations, including the Church grass cutting and clock, £800.00 was allocated. Funds for the Village Plan will be taken from reserves as the requirements of the Localism Act for neighbourhood planning are unknown. A figure of £200.00 was allocated.

First Aid training, £480.00 is to be earmarked in the reserves, as already agreed.   Member training, to include the new Clerk training, £500.00

The level of the reserves was considered and the Council considered that this was satisfactory.

The budget was approved by resolution of the Council and it was unanimously agreed to demand a precept of £9,500.00 from South Cambridgeshire District Council.

Every Village group and organisation should attend the Annual Parish Meeting and plead their case for a grant, if such is required. It was agreed to appoint H. Russell as Internal Auditor.

Environmental issues. It was agreed that Cllr Irish would write to the Environment Agency and CCC regarding problems in Callow Brook and Oakington Road. Butcher’s Lane and other footpaths require drainage work. Cycle paths, road marking and a path on Oakington Road to gain access to the guided busway cycle path, promoting safer cycling between the village and Cambridge was supported by the Parish Council and Cllr Reynolds reported on a proposed cycling improvement related to the Northstowe development.

‘Survey of the green spaces’, by V. Perrin is to be printed by Cllr Irish and circulated. This will be an agenda item for a future meeting when its implications will be discussed.

Public Rights of Way and Permissive Paths It was agreed to work with the farmers and landowners concerned to secure well marked permissive paths, with gates and bridge crossings which did not prohibit a resident or residents applying via the legal route under S41 of the Highways Act. Cllr Fane is to progress this with the landowner and Kate Day at CCC.

Tree Works, 1, High Street. The response made between meetings was noted. The Parish Council had no objections.

Planning. No new applications received.

The next meeting of the Parish Council is on 21st, February, 2012. The Community is reminded that Parish Council agenda items should be sent to the Parish Clerk, in writing, at least 14 days prior to the Parish Council meeting and that village organisations are invited to forward short reports on their activities to Council meetings.

The following organisation may be of interest to some members of our community.

VILLAGE BENEFITS ADVICE SERVICE

Every year large amounts of social security benefits are unclaimed because many people do not know what they are entitled to, or how to claim, and older people and those with disabilities face particular difficulties. The Village Benefits Advice Service helps people to claim their share of these benefits, by offering advice and assistance. Telephone number 01353 666990 VILLAGE BENEFITS ADVICE SERVICE PO BOX 257 ELY, CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CB7 9EA

Report on the Meeting of 19th July, 2011

August 7, 2011

This meeting was the third conducted by the new Council and its first business was to elect a Parish Council Chairman and record acceptance of Office. Cllr. P Fane was proposed, seconded and elected to this post following a unanimous vote. As reported earlier, Cllr. N Irish was elected Vice Chairman.

Prior to the formal Parish Council meeting there was a period devoted to comment from members of the public and District andCountyCouncillors’ reports. Cllr. Reynolds was thanked for his report, which had been circulated and was taken as read, and Cllr. Waters reported that SCDC are running ‘business start up workshops’.  There was a reference to financial outlay on care for the elderly which is reported as costing 47% of the County Council budget. A Dry Drayton resident enquired about solar panels for Dry Drayton Village Hall which was referred to the Village Hall Committee.

During the subsequent Parish Council meeting the following topics were discussed.

Parish Council. The one remaining Parish Council seat will be advertised.

Review of standing orders, regulations and policies. It was agreed that the Parish Council fulfil its obligations on Freedom of Information and Data Protection and pay the necessary registration fee.

Village Plan. A revision of the Plan and associated working group membership is in progress.

Traffic and Speed limit Policy. The meeting with R. Preston (CCC) revealed that the County Council has no funds to assist with speed measures but that the Localism Bill may enable Parish Councils to progress these matters. A plan and budget are under discussion.

Finance and Disbursements. Clerk’s salary £97.48, HMRC £97.48, Admin.£300.98, grass-cutting £360.00. It was noted that Admin. Services will be reviewed at the next meeting.

Planning. No new applications received. The Old Chapel,Park Lane, extension approved.

The next meeting of the Parish Council is on 20th, September, 2011. The Community is reminded that Parish Council agenda items should be sent to the Parish Clerk, in writing, at least 14 days prior to the Parish Council meeting and that village organisations are invited to forward short reports on their activities to Council meetings.

Final approved minutes are here: http://www.drydrayton.net/pdfs/110719DDPCmins.pdf

Report on the Meeting of 21st June, 2011

July 4, 2011

In the absence of an elected Chairman, Cllr. Stamford was elected to chair this Parish Council meeting and prior to the formal Parish Council meeting there was a period devoted to comment from members of the public and District and County Councillors’ reports. Cllr. Reynolds was thanked for his report, which had been circulated and was taken as read, and Cllr. Waters reported that SCDC was the most efficient finance collector in the region.

The Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) Reeve was present and reported that there had been no crimes since the last meeting but that a speed survey in Scotland Road had resulted in the issue of one ticket and two verbal warnings. It was agreed that Neighbourhood Watch, the Neighbourhood Panel and e-cops worked well together to improve local policing.

During the subsequent Parish Council meeting the following topics were discussed:

Parish Council Chairman. It was agreed that the election of a Parish Council Chairman be carried forward to the next meeting and the one remaining Parish Council seat will be advertised. As reported earlier, Cllr. Irish was elected Vice Chairman.

Review of standing orders, regulations and policies. It was agreed that the Parish Council adopt the simplest mandatory Standing Orders and that the Parish Council Chairman be the Clerk’s line manager. The basic model was adopted for Financial Regulation.

Village Plan. The Implementation Sub-Committee is considering its membership and working group status. 

Traffic and Speed limit Policy. A meeting is proposed with R. Preston (CCC) and Cllrs. Irish and Rosewell are to liaise on the allied presentation.  Speed stickers. The Parish Council has ordered 40 and 20 mph stickers for wheelie bins, these notices will be distributed by the Speedwatch group.   

Finance and Disbursements. Clerk’s salary.£97.48, Admin.£320.19, grass-cutting £360.00. It was noted that Insurance cover with Aviva will save £1000.00 over the three year term.    

Planning. 18, Oakington Road, new dwelling and garage, approval recommended.
                 The Old Chapel, Park Lane, single storey extension, approval recommended.
                 27-39 High Street, extended time limit, detached dwelling, SCDC approved.

The next meeting of the Parish Council is on 19th July, 2011.

The Community is reminded that Parish Council agenda items should be sent to the Parish Clerk, in writing, at least 14 days prior to the Parish Council meeting and that village organisations are invited to forward short reports on their activities to Council meetings.

Report on the First and Annual Meeting 17th May, 2011

May 24, 2011

Annual Business.  The election of a Parish Council Chairman was carried forward to the next meeting. One of the two vacant Parish Council seats was filled by co-option and the remaining vacancy will be advertised. Cllr. Irish was elected Vice Chairman.

Review of standing orders, regulations and policies. These will be discussed at the next Parish Council meeting.

Delegation arrangements and membership of Village Committees.  Appointments were made to the S and VA, P3 Liaison, the grass cutting sub-contractor, the Village Newsletter and the District Council Parish Liaison meetings.

Village Plan. The Implementation Sub-Committee will convene at the next Parish Council meeting when its membership and working group status will be considered.    

Traffic. There has been a meeting with Richard Preston (CCC). Cllr. Irish read a draft letter, for approval, which was sent after the meeting.

Footpaths. Re-surfacing work on Butcher’s Lane is in progress. The Parish Council will rejoin the Parish Paths Partnership.

Streetlighting. The District Council has confirmed its responsibility for maintenance.

Finance and Disbursements. Clerk’s salary, £194.96, Admin. £324.89, grass-cutting £360.00, ‘litter sticks’ £13.57. Lloyds Bank safe custody, £7.50, ‘bus shelter window cleaning, £10.00 and Audit costs, £50.00. The Annual Accounting statements and the Annual Governance Statement were approved.    

Planning. CCC. Crematorium work was approved.

The next meeting of the Parish Council is on 21st June, 2011. The Community is reminded that Parish Council agenda items should be sent to the Parish Clerk, in writing, at least 14 days prior to the Parish Council meeting and that village organisations are invited to forward short reports on their activities to Council meetings.

Report on the 18th January, 2011 meeting

January 24, 2011

This meeting followed the published agenda. The following topics were discussed or reviewed.

Housing Needs  The Chairman’s proposed exploration of the Village with Miss Newstead, the housing development manager for SCD Council, who confirmed the standard procedure for provision of housing following a formal housing survey, has not yet taken place.

Village Plan. Work continues on various aspects of this plan. Mrs Hawkes, a ‘Freaky Friday’ youth group organiser, outlined the parameters for a recreational area. It was agreed that the School Governors be approached for a small area and Bar Hill Parish Council for the use of ‘skate board’ and other facilities.

‘Cycle Paths. Drift to Bar Hill work almost completed. There is no progress on the major routes to Cambridge.

Sustainable Biodiversity Group. Nothing to report. The possibilities of ‘green’ electricity generation are being researched.

Finance. Disbursements were £218.05 for salt bins. £284.62 for footway lighting. £570.06 for Clerk’s salary and expenses. The grant to the Church will be £400.00 and the ‘Green Group’ will receive a solicited £75.00.

Retirement of Parish Clerk. The vacancy is being advertised. Prior to a new appointment, LGS services of Hardwick, an experienced provider of Clerking, will be employed on a ‘three month rolling contract’.

Parish Council. The Parish Council election is scheduled for May 2011.

The next meeting of the Parish Council is on 15th February, 2011. The Community is reminded that Parish Council agenda items should be sent to the Parish Clerk, in writing, at least 14 days prior to the Parish Council meeting and that village organisations are invited to forward short reports on their activities to Council meetings.

Report on the 16th November, 2010 meeting

December 12, 2010

This meeting followed the published agenda. The following topics were discussed or reviewed.

1. Housing Needs and Warren’s Field proposal The Chairman reported a meeting with Miss Newstead, the housing development manager for SCD Council, who confirmed the standard procedure for provision of housing following a formal housing survey. Miss Newstead had noted the comments made at the October Parish Council meeting and it was unlikely that planning would be granted for the proposed site on Warren’s Field. She volunteered to explore the Village, in company with a Parish Council representative, to assess the possibilities of other, more suitable, building sites and the Chairman will arrange this survey.

2. Village Plan. Work continues on various aspects of this plan.

3. Cycle Path, Drift to Bar Hill. Work almost completed. There will be a site meeting to discuss the economics of appropriate signage and an end barrier. 

4. Sustainable Biodiversity Group. Nothing to report.

5. Extension to lay-by at Methodist Church. A meeting with the Highways division revealed that finance for such a modification is not available.     

6. Grass Cutting. It was agreed to accept the tender of Mr. W G Round.

7. Best Kept Village Competition.  This year there will not be a competition.

8. Finance. Disbursements were £290.46 for grass cutting. £84.00 had been received for allotment rents.     

9. Salt Bins.  Two bins have been delivered and placed in the agreed positions.

10. Retirement of Parish Clerk.  Mrs. L Volans, after twenty eight years of exemplary service, is retiring from the position of Parish Clerk but will continue in this role until the end of the financial year (31/03/2011). Applicants for this important post should contact the Parish Council Chairman.       

The next meeting of the Parish Council is in January, 2011, but a meeting will be convened if business of an urgent nature arises. The Community is reminded that Parish Council agenda items should be sent to the Parish Clerk, in writing, at least 14 days prior to the Parish Council meeting and that village organisations are invited to forward short reports on their activities to Council meetings.

Report on the 19th October, 2010 meeting

December 12, 2010

This meeting followed the published agenda. The following topics were discussed or reviewed.

1. Housing Needs and Building Proposals. A presentation on these subjects was made by a Luminus representative, A Chapman, and the SCDC development manager, S Newstead, they described the SCDC objectives in providing ‘low cost’ housing and its maintenance and further provided a guide to the ‘preferred families’ in such housing and their necessary relationship with Dry Drayton. The outline proposal for an ‘exception site’, embodying up to 18 dwellings, outside the village perimeter, in the green belt and in an area of best landscape, was discussed at length.
Members of Dry Drayton Parish Council expressed their unease regarding the proposal and the possible designation of the area involved as ‘special needs land’. The Council also noted that there had been several formal and verbal objections to the proposal from villagers and agreed that much more information about ‘low cost’ housing was needed and that the matter will be discussed further in the light of this data. The Council will also review the housing need numbers mentioned in the ACRE survey and re-examine the tentative Luminus proposals. As yet, no formal application has been received on these proposals and their content will be discussed in conjunction with the SCDC in due course.

2. Village Plan. Work on various aspects of this plan continues. Land suitable for a play area is currently being sought and funding for this project is under discussion.

3. Cycle Path, Drift to Bar Hill. Clearance work is in progress and appropriate signage is being addressed.

4. Cycle Path, Bar Hill to Coton. Discussions, emphasizing safe cycling, are taking place between the Parish Councils involved.

5. Sustainable Biodiversity Group. Nothing to report.

6. Planning Application. Dry Drayton Cricket Club. Replacement shed and tree works. Agreed

7. Extension to lay-by at Methodist Church. Members agreed that this would be advantageous for both Church members and mothers transporting school children.

8. Best Kept Village Competition. It was agreed that this presented opportunities for a general ‘tidy up’.

9. Finance. Disbursements included £290.46 grass cutting, £25.85 shredder repairs, and £570.18 clerk’s salary plus expenses.